Monday, February 11, 2008

River 4 Life

I had the most authentic cultural experience of my trip so far yesterday. I attended the fĂștbol match of River vs. Gimnasia. I, of course, was for River (never would anyone ever switch their allegiance, probably in their entire life). My host brother, Francisco, leant me his jersey (thank goodness because there wasn´t a single person not wearing a jersey of their team).

The goals were the loudest, most energetic displays of happines I´ve ever seen. They involved leaping up, screaming ¡Gol!, and hugging the guy next to him (regardless of acquaintance or even allegiance) , and then buying a coffee from the guy who walks among the crowds, like peanuts at a baseball game.

I so enjoyed the game, and intend to go to another very soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Speed,

Larry here. Your dad sent me your blog address and I read it this evening. You certainly have a talent for observation and writing - you are really good, with a unique gift of language.
I love the "carne fest" entry. I can relate as my father's family is from Hungary and every fall they hosted a big Hungarian Octoberfest, cooking an entire pig, using every speck of it for what they termed "delicacies," including blood sausage, and pickled pigs knuckles... ugh! As kids we used to try everything, but usually only once.
Sounds as if you are being initiated in a proper Argentine fashion and enjoying the entirely unique experience. Absorb it all and you will return with stories to tell for years and years.
Must be great art there too.
I look forward to reading more of the further adventures of "Rapido en Argentina!"
Bravo, and thanks for sharing.
Larry